Wednesday, February 09, 2011

A Glimpse of Garrett

Garrett is growing and maturing so fast. He simply amazes me everyday and in the last couple months he has had so many great experiences at school. When I attended Garrett's parent teacher conference, the teachers couldn't say enough fabulous things about him. He is very attentive and listens including raising his hand and asking questions. He loves to socialize and even invents games at school. One day on the playground he created an imaginary baseball game with no ball or bat. He included kids and teachers as they pretended to hit the ball and run the bases.

Here are some highlights of how the teachers described Garrett:
- Strong motor skills - which means cutting and drawing is no problem for him
- Loves the play dough table but refuses to get glue on his hands
- He is interested in trying to write his own name
- No problem with recognizing his numbers

At school, they provide quotes of the day. In the past couple of weeks, Garrett has been the quote of the day twice and I thought I would share.

1- During snack time, he was obviously hungry and wanted a second helping. So Garrett said "Can I have more snack? I'm a Cheez-its Monster."

2- One cold and dreary day, the kids were playing in the big room and the teachers said Garrett and several other kids ran in circles for a long time. Garrett walked up to the teach and said "I'm super exhausted! I ran like three marathons."

One last story: One day Garrett was working on painting a picture in class. The teacher was sitting near by so Garrett decided to tell her the story he was painting. He proceeded to tell the teacher that he was drawing two buildings. The buildings are the ones where the firemen were running up to save people. Yes, Garrett was drawing the Twin Towers. It is amazing how capable Garrett is of understanding a huge event and it is even more astounding to see how he can express himself.

Garrett - you are a smart little boy whose personality and determination is going to get you far in life. We Love You!

No comments: