Grandpa came to visit us this past weekend. He came to play with his grandsons and have a nice relaxing few days. Well, things aren't always as we plan. He ended up doing some back breaking work (might I say with a bad back to begin with) and never stopped working until he got in the car to go back to Fishkill. Thank you Grandpa!Grandpa arrived Friday afternoon and was immediately shown around the house by Connor and Garrett. Of course, he learned all about our balloon parties, trains and games etc... He then was nice enough to get into the car for the usual trip into Boston to keep Grandma company so we could do the switcharoo and get Grandma to the airport. Once we got home it was playtime with Grandpa and I am pretty sure he was so happy to hit the bed that evening.
He awoke knowing that a cord of wood had arrived at our house on Friday and that Brian's first mission of the day was to haul the wood into the back shed and organize it all. Sounds easy, right? Well you don't realize how much a cord of wood is until it is sitting on a tarp on your side lawn. It was basically a five hour affair but with the help of Connor it went much faster. In a display of Connor's work ethic, he didn't want to leave the project at all until it was done. I basically had to force him to take his nap but he was very unhappy to leave the job unfinished. As soon as he woke up from his nap, he had to go outside and inspect the rest of the work Brian and Grandpa did. He did approve of the finished product.


Sunday was a rainy and damp day but we decided to go on an adventure anyway. We went to King Richard's Fair and I must say I have never seen anything like it. Everyone there is dressed up in Renaissance attire and speak in the proper old English manner. There are live stage shows with singing which Connor absolutely loved. We saw a performer do fire eating and juggling. I found out I was quite skilled at the bow and arrow and Grandpa was killer with throwing knives (watch out Nana - don't say I didn't warn you). Brian on the other hand can throw knives at you but will beat you to death with the dull end of the knife. Sorry honey - I just had to. The day was damp and messy but we ended up having a good time. We were disappointed because we didn't get to see the jousting but Connor wants to go back and see more of the performances. Somehow Garrett managed to walk away with a cute stuffed tiger and he charmed a man operating a game into giving him a huge rubber ducky. Apparently his charming ways work on everyone - one smile and you will do whatever he wants. :)Happily Grandpa didn't leave until Tuesday because he came with us to the hospital for Connor's big surgery. On Monday night and Tuesday, we put Grandpa back to work and he filled in the cracks of our driveway for us. I tell everyone that our door is always open for visitors...but you have to read between the lines and realize that if you come to visit you will be put to work. Thanks for coming to visit Grandpa!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment